Friday, April 6, 2012

Jesus Christ Superstar!

A lot of musicals have been playing in Vienna since I've been here including: Cats, Aladdin, and Sister Act. And a few lucky times, musicals have been playing here in English! For example, the London West End production of Hair made a stop in Vienna and I got to go see that. And most recently, a local theater put on Jesus Christ Superstar: the Rock-Musical in Concert in English!
I have to start by saying that the Ronacher theater was gorgeous! A very cool setting for a musical! 
So, it was in concert form, but there was still acting and staging. If anyone has seen the 10th or 25th anniversary concerts of Les Miserables, it was just like that. The band was right there on stage with them, the stage wove in and out of the band, and the actors sang into handheld microphones. Make sense? Here is a shot of the stage before it started. By the way, we had fifth row seats! Couldn't get more perfect than that :)
Mid-show picture (No, I didn't take this...found it on google).
They way they put it on was different from what I would've expected, too. For example, Jesus had a shaved head, wore cut up jeans, a button up white shirt, and Chuck Taylor's. The other actors were wearing modern clothing. Judas looked like a straight up rocker. Now, I haven't seen Jesus Christ Superstar on Broadway, but this was definitely not what I was expecting. This is the guy who played Jesus...
In real life, his name is Drew Sarich. After the show, I went and googled him because he was just so amazing. Turns out he's originally from St. Louis, Missouri, and he's been living in Vienna starring in shows at this same theater for about ten years. He's kind of a big deal, and a crowd favorite here in Vienna. He was so incredible. His version of "Gethsemane" was easily the best rendition of that song I've ever heard. He got a standing ovation from the crowd after that song that lasted about five minutes (no joke). I've never been in a show when an actor got a standing ovation in the middle of the show. It was unbelievable!
The guy kneeling down in the middle there is the guy that played Judas. He completely rocked out his part. It was amazing to listen to. The guy on the right played Caiaphas. Everyone in this production was just amazing. I can't say enough about them. After doing some research on the cast, I found out that most of them are regulars at this theater, and several of them (including Jesus) are in the production of Sister Act that is starting next week. Too bad it's in German, otherwise I would definitely go see it. 
I'm not even exaggerating, THIS WAS THE BEST STAGE PRODUCTION I'VE EVER SEEN! It was simply amazing, breathtaking, captivating, and incredible. Like there aren't enough words in the English language to explain how sensational this was. It was so beautiful and amazing that it brought me to tears several times. I mean right at the beginning of the show, the first time I heard Judas and Jesus sing, it was so awe-inspiring that I had tears in my eyes! Like just a reminder that no matter how tough a time you might be having there is still something beautiful and amazing somewhere waiting to stir your soul. I'm seriously thinking about going again on Sunday. 

Anyways, I always hate when I go see a musical, and you leave the theater and wish you could have that cast's recording on CD, but they are never selling it (or they haven't done a recording). Well, not this time! This cast recorded a CD and they were selling them after the show. It was a no-brainer that I had to have it. I may or may not be (but definitely am) listening to it now :) 
I always do things here and immediately afterwards I think of the people that I wish could've been there with me to experience it. This time was no different. I immediately thought of my mom and Jess Yanz. I would've loved to have them sitting next to me, because I know that my mom would've been crying right along with me, and I know Jess would've completely understood the amazingness of it all. But, oh well, we'll just have to go see a musical when I get back to the states :)

Until then,

Kayla

P.S. Our head coach was fired yesterday after our pitiful loss in the 2nd match of the Austrian finals. So, we're finishing out the next two weeks with a new head coach. Hopefully we can take care of business these next three matches. 

P.P.S. Since this post is all about Jesus Christ Superstar and the AMAZING Drew Sarich, here is the audio of his version of "Gethsemane". Be amazed. 

1 comment:

  1. Brooke will be so excited for a new musical CD in your car for her to listen too!!!

    ReplyDelete