Friday, April 20, 2012

Things I'm Excited For: Part 6!

Hello all! Okay, I know I broke my promise of posting something that I'm excited for every day until I'm home, but I've been a little busy WINNING THE AUSTRIAN LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP! Woo! My first professional title! It feels pretty good!
So that's my excuse for not blogging on Wednesday. My excuse for not blogging yesterday is that I was ridiculously hungover from the celebration on Wednesday that I spent most of the day in bed! Oops! :) Anyways, I'm back now! And I will officially be back in Dubuque Monday night! So, you'll get three more days of my "Things I'm Excited For" series! Next on the list of things I'm looking forward to is...
THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
No German, no foreign accents, no language barriers, no "lost in translations", just plain old American English!  Granted I was lucky to have a couple American teammates this season, and a few of my teammates speak very good English, but a lot of them don't. My head coach didn't speak any English. So there were a lot of moments that I was completely lost. A lot of things were lost in translation, and it was hard to build relationships with people that barely spoke the same language as you. But, probably the worst thing about the language difference was when I went out in public to places like the grocery store, the gym, a restaurant, a clothing store, or even just a gas station, every conversation I had with a worker or waiter started with them saying something or asking me something in German and me having to say "Sorry? English?" It is just a pain and it's kind of embarrassing because it makes me feel stupid. Luckily, in most cases, the person has been able to speak some English, but it still sucks because they are still difficult to understand. Other times they can't speak any English and then you just kind of stare awkwardly at each other, neither one able to communicate what they want. Or if you are in a restaurant and you have to attempt to read a menu. Good Lord! It's near impossible! I've learned to read a few German words, but an entire menu is impossible. Basically, if I can find the word "Hühnerfleisch" which is chicken, I order that. I realized the other day that I might end up hugging the first American flight attendant I have on the trip home. Just hearing them ask me "Would you like something to drink?" in English is gonna make my day! :)

Sending my love from Vienna! 

Kayla 

P.S. I know I've already used this clip, but it seems very fitting for this blog, so I'm using it again :) Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment